Industrial Operator Trainee - Machine Operator- Bayway - Elizabeth, NJDate posted 03/15/2019
Freeport-McMoRan Bayway Operations in Elizabeth, N.J., provide high-quality specialty copper products to industries large and small. We produce a complete line of electrolytic tough pitch copper and oxygen-free copper wire in assorted configurations. We have become a recognized industry leader for specialty copper products by building highly reliable products, delivering on time, and offering superior technical support and customer service.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers for our employees. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Freeport-McMoRan Bayway Operations.
This position performs duties related to the operation of industrial equipment in support of safe production, including general labor duties and housekeeping. They work in environments where there are many activities taking place at one time and where work tasks change many times during a work shift. This position will work under general supervision where the primary objective is safe production.
- Set up and operate equipment as per work instructions, in a safe and efficient manner
- Read a micrometer and performs in-process quality inspection as specified in the SOPS; properly tags and/or identifies all material being processed at the work center
- Operation of hand/power tools
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Must be flexible and capable of learning several different jobs in the department (will be expected to perform any number of assignments involving a variety of equipment in the course of a day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Previous experience demonstrating mechanical aptitude
- Ability to operate industrial equipment
- High School diploma or GED
- Ability to operate material handling equipment - forklift, crane, hoist
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- This is a Safety Sensitive role
- Work is performed in a manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fuse or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, stoop, walk, sit, reach, demonstrate manual dexterity, talk, hear and see
- Must be able to perform physical labor
- Requires lifting up to 50 lbs. to an elevation of 4 ft. with flexibility and a wide range of motion
- Must bend, stoop, reach, push, pull, twist and turn, as well as lift on a regular basis
- Spends the greatest portion of the day on your feet
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going drug random testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
JobIndustrial Operator Trainee - Machine Operator- Bayway - Elizabeth, NJ
Primary LocationUnited StatesNew JerseyBayway
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.