Mechanical Engineer I - Henderson Mine - Empire, CODate posted 08/13/2017
Climax Molybdenum Co., a subsidiary of Freeport-McMoRan, is the world's leading molybdenum producer and supplier. Our global operations include both primary and byproduct molybdenum mines, integrated global operations, and local customer care. We provide our worldwide partners with the most reliable supply and highest quality molybdenum and rhenium products. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner.
We offer outstanding opportunities for individuals who seek challenging, exciting and rewarding work for a company that supplies molybdenum for a variety of high-value applications in industries ranging from steel and oil to aerospace and construction. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Climax Molybdenum.
This position is located at the Henderson Mine, which is in an underground mine plant setting at an elevation of 10,800 feet above sea level. This may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles.
Under general supervision, provides technical advice and guidance for all phases of assigned Engineering projects and programs, ensuring the successful conclusion of all phases within an appropriate time and at appropriate cost.
- Assists in the review, investigation and development of appropriate recommendations regarding assigned Engineering projects
- Participates on small to medium site construction, expansion or modification projects
- Administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- Develop working knowledge of local, state and federal regulations appropriate to area of assignment
- Performs other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Engineering discipline with no experience required
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Engineering
- Able to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Skilled in managing Engineering projects
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards
- Skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
- Advanced degree or Professional Engineering (PE) Certification
- Familiarity with AutoCAD drafting software. Capable of creating self AutoCAD drafting to produce engineering drawings for construction/fabrication.
- Experience with designing and specification systems.
- Field experience with industrial construction projects including project management/managing contractors.
- Project Management certifications CPM
- Knowledgeable with using the AISC manual
- Knowledgeable with using AWS code
Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/ alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CityDenver
JobMechanical Engineer I - Henderson Mine - Empire, CO
Primary LocationUnited StatesColoradoHenderson Mine (Empire, CO)
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.