Senior Metallurgist - Roasting / Crystallization - Ft. Madison, IADate posted 02/22/2019
Climax Molybdenum Co., a subsidiary of Freeport-McMoRan, is the world's leading molybdenum producer and supplier. Our global operations include both primary and byproduct molybdenum mines, integrated global operations, and local customer care. We provide our worldwide partners with the most reliable supply and highest quality molybdenum and rhenium products. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner.
We offer outstanding opportunities for individuals who seek challenging, exciting and rewarding work for a company that supplies molybdenum for a variety of high-value applications in industries ranging from steel and oil to aerospace and construction. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Climax Molybdenum.
Under general supervision, provides technical expertise, guidance and leadership in Metallurgical testing and analysis at assigned site.
- Conducts, plans and assists with Metallurgical study, development, testing and analyses of designs, processes or procedures at assigned site
- Serves as technical expert on complex Metallurgical testing
- Reports metallurgical or process issues and makes recommendations to Chief Metallurgist on how to resolve/correct the issues
- Reviews and recommends new or enhanced Metallurgical testing equipment or protocols
- Contributes to the improvement of Metallurgical process
- Evaluates and administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- Provides guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable programs, practices and existing/proposed local, State and Federal regulations
- Maintains current working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local regulations
- May contribute to site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for Metallurgical testing
- May represent the site on company-sponsored steering teams
- Performs other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in Metallurgy, Chemistry or related Engineering discipline and five (5) years of experience in Metallurgy or related Scientific field, OR
- Master’s degree in Metallurgy, Chemistry or related Engineering discipline and three (3) years of experience in Metallurgy or related Scientific field
Knowledge of the principles and methods used in complex Metallurgical and processing analyses
Able to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
Skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Experience mentoring and developing junior engineers
- Experience with Roasting or Crystallization
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 30 pounds) during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
JobSenior Metallurgist - Roasting / Crystallization - Ft. Madison, IA
Primary LocationUnited StatesIowaFt. Madison
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.