Senior Accountant - Sierrita - Green Valley, AZDate posted 10/11/2018
Freeport-McMoRan is a premier U.S.-based natural resources company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers for our employees. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Freeport-McMoRan.
Oversees and performs specialized accounting and financial activities on complex accounts and funds in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and Freeport-McMoRan policies and procedures.
- Performs or serves as team leader in assembling complex and interrelated financial statements; oversees and reviews the recording of expenditures, entries and posting to general ledgers; verifies books and bank statement reconciliation
- Analyzes financial operations and recommends enhancements to policies or procedures
- Reviews and recommends new or enhanced automated financial statements
- Oversees and assists in audit preparation by developing required schedules and reconciliation reports; monitors and develops monthly reports of revenues and expenditures for projects
- May provide functional advice or training to less experience accountant positions at site
- Performs other duties as required
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related area and five (5) years of experience in Accounting, OR
Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or closely related area and three (3) years of experience in Accounting
Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures in the accounting field of specialization
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
- Knowledge of office procedures and equipment, including PCs and financial software
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance or MBA
- Accounting experience in a mining, manufacturing, and/or heavy industrial environment
- Experience with forecasting/budgeting
- Experience with cost analysis
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is mostly performed in an office setting
- Occasionally work will be performed outdoors or in the manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in the manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and other protective equipment as required
Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
JobSenior Accountant - Sierrita - Green Valley, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaGreen Valley
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.