Senior Engineer - Climax Mine - Leadville, CODate posted 01/12/2018
Climax Molybdenum Co., a subsidiary of Freeport-McMoRan, is the world's leading molybdenum producer and supplier. Our global operations include both primary and byproduct molybdenum mines, integrated global operations, and local customer care. We provide our worldwide partners with the most reliable supply and highest quality molybdenum and rhenium products. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner.
We offer outstanding opportunities for individuals who seek challenging, exciting and rewarding work for a company that supplies molybdenum for a variety of high-value applications in industries ranging from steel and oil to aerospace and construction. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Climax Molybdenum.
This position is located at the Climax Mine site off of CO-91 between Silverthorne, CO and Leadville, CO. This is a rural, alpine area approximately two hours from the Denver metropolitan area. The mine is at an altitude of approximately 10,200 feet. In the winter, the average high temperature is 31 degrees and the average low is 3 degrees. In the summer, the average high temperature is 71 degrees and the average low is 38 degrees. The average snowfall in Lake/Chafee counties is in excess of 200 inches per year.
Provide technical advice and guidance for all phases of assigned large/complex Engineering projects and programs, ensuring the successful conclusion of all phases within an appropriate time and at appropriate cost.
- Review, investigate, and develop appropriate recommendations regarding assigned Engineering projects
- Manage projects and serve as subject matter expert (SME) on large/complex site planning/construction, expansion, or modifications
- Provide guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable processes, practices, and existing/proposed local, state and federal regulations
- Contribute to site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for designated Engineering areas
- Develop and evaluate AFE’s (Authorization for Expenditure) for capital funding requests
- May evaluate and administer contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- May represent the site on company sponsored steering committees, task forces, or teams
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate Engineering discipline and five (5) years of related experience in Engineering or a related field, OR
- Master's degree in an appropriate Engineering discipline and three (3) years of related experience in Engineering or related field
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Engineering
- Ability to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Skill in managing large/complex Engineering projects
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written
- Ability to evaluate and implement new methods and techniques for operational improvement
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Skill in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
Advanced degree or Professional Engineering (PE) Certification
Participates as a lead to develop and coordinate the teams necessary for medium to large multi-disciplinary projects for both short and long-range goals.
Develops and maintains a master project schedule for all major site projects.
Develops project budgets, monitors expenses, and provides forecasts.
Acts as a project liaison between engineers and engineering consultants and various Climax site departments such as Engineering, Accounting, GSC, IT, Environmental, Operations and Maintenance.
Serves as Project Manager on medium-to-large site Engineering projects, which may include the development of new or modification to existing systems and processes.
Responsibilities include stake holder definition, project development, scheduling, budgeting, appropriation request (AR) preparation, contract management, purchasing coordination, construction oversight, cost controls, quality controls, implementation and commissioning.
Participates with Operations and Maintenance departments and other Engineering staff in problem solving efforts to improve safety, efficiencies, cost controls, and protection of the environment.
Ensures appropriate documentation for assigned projects is prepared, reviewed and saved.
Responsible for ensuring successful completion of the assigned project phase within the budget time and cost constraints.
Evaluates and coordinates contracts with consultants, contractors and vendors for engineering projects, construction services, and/or equipment and facilities installation.
Performs other duties as required
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CityDenver
JobSenior Engineer - Climax Mine - Leadville, CO
Primary LocationUnited StatesColoradoClimax (Leadville, CO)
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.