Chief Process Automation Engineer - Phoenix, AZDate posted 04/29/2019
Freeport-McMoRan is a premier U.S.- based natural resource company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, molybdenum, cobalt, oil and gas. The Company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry and is the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold, oil and gas producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers for our employees. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Freeport-McMoRan.
Provide leadership, develop strategic plan, organize resources, and evaluate plant processes and control system performance.
- Provide direction, standards and performance metrics for discrete/continuous/advanced control, controller equipment and software and the HMI
- Review, design and develop control strategy to meet the process objectives
- Provide direction, standards and performance metrics for alarm management systems
- Assess and define the plant safety requirement (SIL) and ensure compliance
- Evaluate options and recommend process instrumentation selection
- Provide direction, standards and performance metrics for PCS communication and plant historians
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline and seven (7) years experience in engineering or related scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience, OR
- Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline and five (5) years experience in engineering or related scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience
- Experience in mineral processing and its measurement, control and optimization.
- Experience in managing projects and leading teams with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in working globally and interacting with people from different countries and culture.
- Experience in process improvement projects using methodology such as lean or six sigma.
- Experience in planning or executing people development program/training.
- Competent with Advanced Process Control (APC) software, specifically FMI standard software, i.e. Metso OCS-4D.
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee
JobChief Process Automation Engineer - Phoenix, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaPhoenix Corporate Office
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.