Manager Air Quality - Phoenix, AZDate posted 06/13/2018
Freeport-McMoRan is a premier U.S.-based natural resources company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers for our employees. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Freeport-McMoRan.
Provides Corporate oversight with regard to air quality projects and regulatory developments to help ensure that air quality permit applications, permits, source testing, and miscellaneous other regulatory and technical documents are characterized by accuracy, quality, and consistency and completed in a timely manner.
- Working with legal counsel, lead air quality compliance activities at company facilities to promote consistency, knowledge sharing and continuous compliance
- Effectively coach, mentor and train site "Air Coordinators"; proactively support site Air Coordinator professional development
- Develop tools (e.g., information templates) to assist business units in tracking environmental (especially air quality) compliance, understanding permit requirements, and preparing required reports
- Identify deficiencies in site air quality programs and develop and implement appropriate corrective actions to ensure continuous compliance with regulations and FCX Corporate best practices
- Support Corporate internal environmental audits program as requested at domestic and international facilities
- Support other FCX Corporate Environment and Sustainable Development Department activities on a project basis as needed
- Manage involvement with the legislative developments in the air quality area that have the potential to affect FCX current and future operations
- Interact with state and federal agencies to provide consistent message with regard to air quality programs
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate Engineering discipline (such as Environmental, Civil or Chemical Engineering) or a related Natural Science (such as Meteorology, Biology, Chemistry or Environmental Science) or Mathematics and ten (10) years of experience in the Environmental Management field; OR
- Master’s degree in an appropriate Engineering discipline (such as Environmental, Civil or Chemical Engineering) or a related Natural Science (such as Meteorology, Biology, Chemistry or Environmental Science) or Mathematics and eight (8) years of experience in the Environmental Management field.
- Working knowledge and understanding of federal, state, and local regulations; ability to access rules and statutes quickly and provide practical (non-legal) interpretations
- Be able to function both independently and in a team scenario; be able to both lead and follow, as appropriate
- Be skilled in project management, including the management of customer expectations
Demonstrate an ability to work under pressure and deal with multiple concurrent projects with a clear understanding of priorities
- Perform work in a timely manner so as to satisfy customer expectations
- Be self-motivated and client service oriented
- Have excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate appropriate analytical skills, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to make good decisions and enforce company policies in accordance with applicable regulations and procedures
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Master’s degree in an appropriate Engineering discipline (such as Environmental, Civil or Chemical Engineering) or a related Natural Science (such as Meteorology, Biology, Chemistry or Environmental Science) or Mathematics or equivalent
Mining or metals industry experience
Experience with State and Federal legislative development processes
Experience with ISO 14001 standards and auditing procedures
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Position is in busy, non-smoking office located in downtown Phoenix, AZ
- Location requires mobility in an office environment; each floor is accessible by elevator
- Work at business units may require long work days, compressed time-tables, and exposure to harsh outdoor elements.
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand, and walk
- Willing to travel (25%)
Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CityPhoenix
JobManager Air Quality - Phoenix, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaPhoenix Corporate Office
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.