Senior Buyer - Chino, NMDate posted 08/13/2017
Freeport-McMoRan is a premier U.S.- based natural resource company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, molybdenum, cobalt, oil and gas. The Company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry and is the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold, oil and gas producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers for our employees. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Freeport-McMoRan.
Place purchase orders with approved vendors for materials, machinery, equipment, tools, parts and other routine supplies or services at assigned site.
- Receive and review a wide variety of requisitions, including higher dollar, higher risk purchases
- May support one or more specialized areas requiring an increased depth of knowledge
- Interview vendors to obtain information concerning product/service, price, availability and delivery date
- Estimate value according to knowledge of market price
- Review bid proposals from vendors and recommend or enter into contracts within limits of delegated authority
- Maintain records of purchased items, cost, delivery, performance and inventory, and approve bills for payments within limits of delegated authority
- Discuss defects with quality control/inspection personnel to determine source of defect and initiates corrective action
- Perform root cause analysis on various procurement functions
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Business, Accounting, Engineering or a related field and three (3) years of experience in Supply Chain, Business, Accounting, Engineering or a related field
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Position is in busy, non-smoking office
- Location requires mobility in an office environment
- Occasionally work will be performed in a mine, outdoor or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand and walk
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to ten (10) pounds
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CityLas Cruces
JobSenior Buyer - Chino, NM
Primary LocationUnited StatesNew MexicoChino
See What's Inside
Get a glimpse of what it's like to work here.